7 Tip Checklist from BikeSport – good for anytime!
- Wash off dust and grime that accumulates over the winter (or anytime) with low water pressure from a hose. (High-pressure sprayers can force water where it shouldn’t go)
- Check the shifting and braking during test ride. Shifting should be smooth; Chain noise should be minimal. Braking should be reliable, smooth and quiet.
- Inspect brake pads for wear and replace if rubber is worn down.
- Inflate tires to recommended pressure (found on sidewall of tire). If they don’t hold air the tubes likely need to be replaced.
- Check tires for wear in the tread area and for cracking in the sidewall. Replace if necessary.
- Lubricate the chain and derailleur pivot points.
- Check wheel for cracks especially around the spokes; make sure they roll true without wobble.
A more comprehensive checklist for Road Bike Riders can be found here: